Why is my Maytag dishwasher not cleaning top rack? Well, it can cause due to several issues.
As a result, you are facing dirty dishes. So Let’s know the reason and fix your dishwasher.
Maytag Dishwasher Not Cleaning Top Rack
Generally, a Maytag dishwasher does not clean the top rack when the water pressure is low, jammed sprat arms, faulty seal, and more.
You need to figure out the culprit behind not cleaning the top rack to solve the problems. So Let’s figure out the reasons.
7 Common Reasons Behind Dishwasher Not Cleaning Top Rack
Here we list 7 common reasons that can keep the top rack ugly. We also talk about how to fix this problem.
1. Wrong or overloading dishwasher
When you notice your dishwasher fails to clean the top rack, first check the spray loading sequence. If you load the bottom rack with tall utensils that can block the spray arms.
So the arms fail to reach the dishes on top racks. As a result, the dishwasher fails to clean the top rack.
Check your utensils and make sure you keep them in the right positions. Also, ensure that you won’t overload the machine.
If you overload the dishwasher, the spray arms also fail to rotate and reach in every dish.
Often we jammed the machine with a large number of dishes. As a result, spray arms can’t spin freely.
Reduce some utensils and balance the loading sequence to solve this problem.
2. Jammed Spray Jets
You will be surprised to know the functionality of your dishwasher depends on spray jets.
Good quality dishwashers like Maytag use high-pressure spray jets to deliver 100% clean dishes.
The role of spray jets is to deliver direct water to the dishes to make them clean. So when the spray jets are jammed or faulty, they can’t deliver sufficient water to the top rack.
You must notice multiple numbers of spray jets with jet sprayers under the top rack. To get a clean top rack, it is essential to ensure whether the jets are fine or not.
Unfortunately, hard water is the problem that blocks the sprayer holes. If your water contains a large number of minerals, you will face this problem frequently.
As a result, it ultimately blocks the water flow inside the dishwasher.
- First, unplug the Maytag dishwasher
- Remove the jets prayer
- Inspect it to find out a clog
- Wash the sprayer to remove minerals or debris
- Place the sprayer back and check how it works.
3. Faulty Spray Arm Seal
Maytag dishwasher provides spray arm seal. It protects you from unwanted leakage.
But what happens if the seal is faulty?
Well, it will cause water leakage out of the spray arms. As a result, the water flow will go away from the top rack.
Luckily replacing a spray arm speaks is easy and affordable. Let’s follow the below steps to replace it.
- Disconnect your dishwasher
- Take out the top rack
- Find out the spray arms and connector
- Now use a flat head screwdriver to discard the screws to remove the cover and connector arm.
- Wash the spray arms and nearby components with a wet cloth.
- Now place the new seal onto the connector arm.
- Connect the cover with its screws to secure the spray arms in their position
- Place the top rack in its position
4. Block Spray Arms
We use a different type of detergent in our dishwasher. Often detergent residue, food residue, or hard water can block the spray arms.
If the spray arms are clogged, the top rack can’t clean. Because it won’t get the required water supply.
- Turn off the power switch
- Locate the spray arms
- Use the right size of ratchet and socket to remove the spray arms clamp.
- Now take out the spray arms to wash the holes.
- Use wire, toothpick, or brush to remove clogged food particles, minerals, or other debris.
- Soak the spray arms for 10-15 minutes in white vinegar to get rid of stubborn debris
- Place the spray arms in their position.
- Turn on the dishwasher to check how it cleans the top racks.
5. Water Pressure Problem
Sometimes you face an ugly top rack due to low water pressure.
The Maytag dishwashers distribute water between the bottom and top rack. But when the water pressure is low, it can’t supply equal water for the top rack.
So the top rack dish remains dirty. Water pressure can be low due to some causes. Let’s learn about it.
Multiple appliances: If the water source is used for multipurpose at a time, that decreases the water pressure.
Solution: Avoid other activities while cleaning dishes
Kink: A tie or kink-in hose can also cause low water pressure.
Solution: Gently pull the hose back and forth to get rid of the kink.
6. Defective Water Inlet Valve
Do you know how dishwashers clean dishes? The performance of a dishwasher depends on its water inlet valve.
When the valve is open, the dishwasher consumes the required water. After filling the dishwasher, the valve is shut down.
So when the valve is faulty, the whole water supply is hampered. It delivers a dirty and ugly top rack.
- Check the water inlet hose to know whether it is defective or not.
- If it is faulty, replace the water inlet valve
- First, locate the water inlet valve
- Then remove the screws to free the valve
- Take out the hose clamp to remove the water inlet valve
- Place a new valve and reconnect everything
7. Defective Circulation Pump
Maytag dishwashers utilize circulation pumps that supply water from the source to spray arms. But when the pump is faulty, it can’t supply water.
So the arms stopped working and kept the rack dirty. Besides, the pump can be jammed due to debris.
- Check the pump if it is clogged or broken.
- Wash the pump with a pipe cleaner to remove debris
- If it is broken, replace the circulation pump
Hopefully, now you know why is Maytag dishwasher not cleaning top rack. This simple problem can down your dishwasher performance.
So don’t forget to troubleshoot your dishwasher when it is not cleaning the top rack. Follow our fixing guide to solve the issue at home.
Inspect your dishwasher carefully to find out the right causes. Repair, replace, or clean your dishwasher according to your needs.