Many of us remain concerned about the proper care of our Dutch ovens. We often get confused and question, “ Can I put a Dutch oven in the dishwasher?”
Proper washing is the key to healthy cooking. Similarly, the right washing material helps to use the Dutch ovens for a longer-term.
The article will answer your questions about cleaning a Dutch oven. Read it carefully to Clean your oven properly.
Can You Put A Dutch Oven In The Dishwasher?
You can use the dishwasher in washing the enameled cast-iron Dutch ovens.
However, the seasoned cast-iron Dutch oven can not be washed by a dishwasher as it hampers its structure.
It is a wise choice to avoid dishwashers as much as possible. The chemical in the dishwasher can make the oven dull and fragile.
Moreover, dishwashers can also be toxic and harmful to your skin. So, try to go wash your Dutch ovens with mild soaps.
A Complete Guide To Cleaning Your Dutch Ovens
There are mainly two types of Dutch ovens.
They are enameled cast-iron Dutch ovens and seasoned cast-iron Dutch ovens. Now learn to clean these individual ovens step by step
1. Enameled Cast-Iron Dutch Oven
This type of Dutch oven is polished with porcelain enamels. They are easy to clean and support the dishwasher occasionally. To clean them,
- First of all, let the oven be cool to room temperature. Keep them 10-15 minutes before cleaning.
- Do not keep them in cool water or fill cool water into them to cool them down fast. It will cause thermal shock and make the ceramic crack.
- When your oven is cool, soak them in warm water. Mix some mild soap or 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda to clean the dust or cooking residue thoroughly.
- After keeping the oven soaked for some time, the residue will get loose. Then pour the water from the oven. Scrub the inside and the outside of the oven carefully.
- Use a soft sponge or nylon scrubber to remove the dust. A harsh and rough scrubber can make unwanted scratches and hamper the enamel.
- Cleaning the clouds of dust properly, wash the oven again with a mild soap mixed with look warm water.
- Rinse it with pure water. Now your oven is clean and clear.
- Keep them in a rack to dry or you can wipe them with soft and dry napkins
- Store them in a clean and dry place. Keep the lead side by side. There may gather water you keep the leads over the oven.
2. Seasoned Cast-Iron Dutch Ovens
These ovens are polished with a nonstick polymerization or reasoning. If you use the dishwasher on them, the seasoning becomes weaker.
Eventually, it makes rusts and cracks and destroys its durability. They are more sensitive than the enameled ovens. To clean them
- Like the previous one, seasoned ovens also need to be cooled before cleaning. Cool down until you can touch it comfortably. Keep them at least 15-20 minutes after you complete your cooking.
- Now it’s ready to be washed. Pour hot water into it to weaken the burn or stocked cooking dust. Give some time to cool the water.
- When the water will be cool, the dust will be weak enough to clean easily. pour out the water from the oven.
- Take a soft sponge or brush to rub gently inside and out. It will help you to remove all the visible and invisible dust properly. You can use a little amount of mild soap to rub
- Do not rub too roughly. It can hamper the seasoning and structure of your oven. Rub gently and take the frequent help of water to wash out the residues
- Then rinse the pot several times and make it dry with a dry wiper or paper napkin
- It is now ready to use or store. Keep it in a good air circulated area.
FAQs about putting the Dutch oven into the dishwasher
1. How Can We Remove Stubborn Messes From Our Enameled Cast-Iron Dutch Ovens?
Take some water and boil them in the oven. When it will get a little cool, add some mild soap. Give some time to settle.
Then take a brush and rub gently on its rough side. The stubborn messes will be weak and removed.
If it does not work, take two-thirds of baking soda and one-third of water.
Make a paste and cover the stubborn dust with it. Keep it for a long time.
Then rub it carefully. It is a successful way of removing stubborn messes.
2. How Can We Remove Stubborn Messes From Our Seasoned Cast-Iron Dutch Ovens?
Pour some water and cover with a lead.
Start boiling the water so that vapor helps to soften the residues. Keep boiling for 5-8 minutes. Then cool it down and scrub with a brush. Hopefully, it will be effective.
If it does not work, take some water again and mix a little baking soda. Keep it simmering for 8-10 minutes.
Make the water cool, rinse the pot and wipe it with a dry napkin. Your oven will be neat and clean.
3. What Type Of Sponges Or Cleansers Should We Use While Cleaning Our Dutch Oven?
Natural nylon-based sponges, brushes, or pads are the best materials to use in the cleaning process.
Avoid using rough metal-based cleaning pads or brushes. They can harm the enamel or seasoning and reduce the oven’s performance.
Baking soda and mind soaps are the best cleansers for your oven. They smoothly can clean all the oil stains and dust from your Dutch oven.
There is not any possibility of hampering the upper layers of the oven.
4. Why Should We Avoid Dishwashers While Cleaning Our Dutch Ovens?
Because they cause rust, chips, and cracks in the ovens.
We hope we have quenched your thirst for knowledge and regarding “Can you put a Dutch oven in the dishwasher?”
Maintain the procedures of cleaning your Dutch oven described above and use your ovens for generations.